HOW TO BREAKDOWN A SCENE
Based off of & largely inspired by Uta Hagen's 9 Actor Questions, this is my personal approach.
Breaking Down a Scene:
1. Who am I? (Name, age, occupation, life circumstances, etc.)
2. Where am I? (Environment / Surroundings)
How do I feel about this location? (Is it familiar/new/scary/exciting to me?)
3. What time is it?
4. Who am I talking to? / Who is in the scene with me? (Relationship)
5. What is happening -Overall- throughout this scene?
6. What do I want?
7. Is there a problem with getting what you want? What is it?
8. How am I going to get what I want? What do I have to do? (Physical / Verbal , action verbs)
9. Does my want change throughout the scene? When / Why / How?
10. What is my MOMENT BEFORE? What JUST happened???
FINAL PREP TO GO INTO THE SCENE:
What is the emotional state of your character??